Community Hours / Volunteer Hours
- Community Involvement Manual (includes a pen & paper form to record one’s volunteer hours)
- Hour Republic – an online app to record your community/volunteer hours electronically
- Volunteer Action Centre – site that lists volunteer opportunities in Kitchener / Waterloo
Every secondary school student must complete a minimum of 40 hours of Community Involvement activities as one of the requirements for an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).
- to encourage students to develop awareness and understanding of civic responsibility
- to increase awareness of the role they can play and gain satisfaction from the contribution they can make in supporting and strengthening their communities
- to develop a positive image and a greater sense of identity within the community
- Early completion of the 40 hours of Community Involvement is strongly recommended.
- Students may complete the requirement at any time starting in the summer before they start Grade 9 and finishing before May of their graduation year
- Students may complete one activity of 40 hours, or several activities which add up to 40 hours.
- Students under the age of 18 years should plan and select their activities in consultation with their parents.
The 40 hours must be completed outside of scheduled class time:
- during the lunch hour
- in the evening
- during the summer
- on the weekends
- during school holidays
- during school suspensions/expulsions