Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test (OSSLT) – 2020-2021 school year
The EQAO will be field testing the online OSSLT field test from March 2021 until May 2021.
The field test will be available to students participating in in-person learning and working toward their Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).
This will allow the opportunity for students in Grades 10 and 11, and non-graduating Grade 12 students, to attempt the test and, if successful, have it counted on their transcript.
Because the Ministry of Education has waived the literacy graduation requirement for all students graduating during the 2020–2021 school year, graduating students do NOT need to take the OSSLT field test.
*** (online) Practice Literacy Test – from the EQAO – click here
*** FAQs (from the EQAO) about the OSSLT – click here
*** Framework Document (from the EQAO) for the OSSLT – click here
*** Tips & Info (from the EQAO) for completing OSSLT online – click here
Students have the opportunity to become familiar with the online test and its platform through EQAO’s online practice test. The online practice test comprises two sessions, which include content from previous tests. The practice test is equivalent to the two sessions students will be completing during the live test. In addition, the practice test includes an introductory session that allows students to become familiar with the new online platform’s tools and functions.
Preparing / Practicing for the OSSLT – St. Mary’s HS
St. Mary’s HS – Practice Test –
St. Mary’s HS – Literacy Test Preparation Week – TBA
St. Mary’s HS – Printable PDF Files – to help you prepare for the OSSLT
EQAO – Past Released OSSLT Questions, Answers, & Scoring Rubrics
Websites – to help you prepare for the OSSLT
YouTube Videos – presentations with reading and writing strategies for the OSSLT
Slideshows / PowerPoint Presentations – to help you prepare for the OSSLT
Literacy Test (OSSLT) 2020 – Letter to Parents/Guardians and Students –> CANCELLED
(includes: schedule for the day, yellow bus schedule, permission slips for grade 11 & 12 students to work at home)
The Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test (OSSLT) will be written by eligible students in Grade 10 and for students in Grade 11 and 12 who have not been previously successful.
Deferrals / Accommodations
- Students who are enrolled in an ESL program will either be deferred from writing the test this year, or will be able to write with accommodations.
- Students who have an IEP may write the test with the accommodations (e.g. extra time, preferred seating, use of computers and/or assistive technology) listed in their IEP.
- Students not working towards their Ontario Secondary School Diploma are exempt from writing the test.
Further information regarding the OSSLT can be found at Education Quality & Accountability Office (EQAO).
Any students requiring extra time to complete the OSSLT will be allowed extra time (up to double time) even if they do not have an IEP and even if they are not considered ELL/ESL students.
TENTATIVE – Test & Classes Schedule (for Tues., Mar. 31, 2020) – TENTATIVE
- 8:50 am – warning bell
- 9:00 am – 12:10 pm – Literacy Test Administration (only students writing the OSSLT are to be at school during this time)
- 12:10 pm – 12:56 pm – lunch
- 12:56 pm – 1:03 pm – break
- 1:03 pm – 2:03 pm – Period 3 or 4 Class for grade 9 & 10 students
- 1:03 pm – 2:03 pm – Period 3 or 4 Study Hall OR Work at Home for grade 11 & 12 students
- 2:03 pm – 2:10 pm – break
- 2:10 pm – 3:10 pm – Period 5 Class for grade 9 & 10 students
- 2:10 pm – 3:10 pm – Period 5 Study Hall OR Work at Home for grade 11 & 12 students
TENTATIVE – WCDSB Yellow School Bus Schedule (for Tues., Mar. 31, 2020) – TENTATIVE
- usual morning pickup time – to bring students to St. Mary’s HS
(only students writing the OSSLT are expected to come to school at the usual morning time)
- usual after school pickup time – to return students home
- additional buses are available to pick up students NOT writing the Literacy Test, they will run 4 hours later than the usual morning route times
(example – if your regular morning pickup time is 7:30 am, then the additional bus will come at 11:30 am )
After School Help
- Begins semester 2 – start date – Monday, February 3, 2020
- Mondays & Wednesdays: 3:15 pm – 4:30 pm
- Room 233 (Student Success Room, next to the Guidance Office)
- Tips, hints and strategies for writing opinion pieces, news reports and other aspects of the OSSLT.
- Teachers – Mrs. K. Drummond, Mr. T. Paolo