Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test (OSSLT)
2018-2019 school year – test date: Wednesday, March 27, 2019
The Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test (OSSLT) will be written by eligible students in Grade 10 and for students in Grade 11 and 12 who have not been previously successful.
Deferrals / Accommodations
- Students who are enrolled in an ESL program will either be deferred from writing the test this year, or will be able to write with accommodations.
- Students who have an IEP may write the test with the accommodations (e.g. extra time, preferred seating, use of computers and/or assistive technology) listed in their IEP.
- Students not working towards their Ontario Secondary School Diploma are exempt from writing the test.
Further information regarding the OSSLT can be found at Education Quality & Accountability Office (EQAO).
Any students requiring extra time to complete the OSSLT will be allowed extra time (up to double time) even if they do not have an IEP and even if they are not considered ELL/ESL students.
Test & Classes Schedule (for Wed., Mar. 27, 2019) – tentative
- 8:50 – Warning Bell
- 9:00 – 12:10 – Literacy Test Administration (only students writing the OSSLT)
- 12:10 – 12:56 – Lunch
- 12:56 – 1:03 – break
- 1:03 – 2:03 – Period 3 or 4 – all students – grades: 9 – 12
- 2:03 – 2:10 – break
- 2:10 – 3:10 – Period 5 – all students – grades: 9 – 12
WCDSB Yellow School Bus Schedule (for Wed., Mar. 27, 2019) – tentative
- usual morning pickup time
- usual after school pickup time
- additional buses are available to pick up students NOT writing the Literacy Test, they will run 4 hours later than the usual morning route times
(example – if your regular morning pickup time is 7:30 am, then the additional bus will come at 11:30 am )
After School Help
- Begins semester 2 – start date – Monday, February 11, 2019 – tentative
- Mondays & Wednesdays: 3:15 pm – 4:30 pm
- Room 204 (Student Success Room, next to the Guidance Office)
- Tips, hints and strategies for writing opinion pieces, news reports and other aspects of the OSSLT.
- Teachers – Mrs. K. Drummond, Mr. J. Rodrigue
Preparing / Practicing for the OSSLT
St. Mary’s HS – Practice Test – Wednesday, November 28th, 2018 – during periods 1 and 2
St. Mary’s HS – Literacy Test Preparation Day – Monday, March 25, 2019 – tentative
St. Mary’s HS – Printable PDF Files – to help you prepare for the OSSLT
EQAO – Past Released OSSLT Questions, Answers, & Scoring Rubrics
Websites – to help you prepare for the OSSLT
YouTube Videos – presentations with reading and writing strategies for the OSSLT
Slideshows / PowerPoint Presentations – to help you prepare for the OSSLT