Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test (OSSLT)
Tuesday, April 10, 2018
The Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test (OSSLT) will be written by eligible students in Grade 10 and for students in Grade 11 and 12 who have not been previously successful.
Deferrals / Accommodations
- Students who are enrolled in an ESL program will either be deferred from writing the test this year, or will be able to write with accommodations.
- Students who have an IEP may write the test with the accommodations (e.g. extra time, preferred seating, use of computers and/or assistive technology) listed in their IEP.
- Students not working towards their Ontario Secondary School Diploma are exempt from writing the test.
Further information regarding the OSSLT can be found at Education Quality and Accountability Office (EQAO).
TENTATIVE – Test & Class & Yellow Bus Schedule for the Day (Tues., April 10th, 2017) of the OSSLT – click here or scroll to bottom of page
Preparing / Practising:
- Practice Test(s)
- OSSLT Literacy Prep. Day – (dates: tba)
- Printable PDF Files
- Key Words/Phrases in Questions from past Literacy Tests
- Common Vocabulary from past Literacy Tests
- Types of (multiple choice & open response) Questions from past Literacy Tests
- All 3 above documents in 1 convenient file
- OSSLT at WCDSB – brochure from WCDSB Literacy Consultant
- Tips for Success
- Tip Sheet – EQAO Booklet Layout
- Education Quality and Accountability Office (EQAO) – OSSLT main page
- Released OSSLT Materials
– examples of actual questions from previous test booklets with scoring guides and sample student responses
- Sample tests and instant feedback (DPCDSB)
- Grammar Bytes! – Grammar Instruction with Attitude
- YouTube Videos – presentations with reading and writing strategies
- Slideshows / PowerPoint Presentations
- After School Help
- Begins semester 2
- Mondays & Wednesdays (starting date – tba)
- 3:15 pm – 4:30 pm
- Room 204 (Student Success Room, next to the Guidance Office)
- Tips, hints and strategies for writing opinion pieces, news reports and other aspects of the OSSLT.
- Teacher – tba
- TENTATIVE – MAY CHANGE – Test & Classes Schedule
- 8:55 – Warning Bell
- 9:00 – 12:10 – Literacy Test (OSSLT) Administration (only students writing the OSSLT)
- 12:10 – 12:55 – Lunch
- 1:00 – 1:30 – Period 1 – all students grades: 9 – 12
- 1:35 – 2:05 – Period 2 – all students grades: 9 – 12
- 2:10 – 2:40 – Period 3 or 4 – all students grades: 9 – 12
- 2:45 – 3:10 – Period 5 – all students grades: 9 – 12
- TBA – Yellow School Bus Schedule