Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test (OSSLT) – 2022-2023 school year
For the 2022-2023 academic year, the EQAO will host the online OSSLT (literacy test) during the following two periods:
- FALL – November 2, 2022 to December 7, 2022, with individual student results reported by the end of January 2023.
- SPRING – March 1, 2023 to April 26, 2023, with individual student results reported by mid-June 2023.
The OSSLT @ St. Mary’s HS for the 2021-2022 (last) school year
- FALL – grade 11 and some grade 12 students: Wednesday, November 24, 2021
- FALL – grade 10 students: Thursday, November 25, 2021
- SPRING – grade 10 & 11 students who did not write, or were unsuccessful in November, and some grade 12 students – Tuesday, May 10, 2022
- SPRING – only students who are writing the OSSLT on May 10th are to attend school that day.
Who Will Write the OSSLT / Who is Deferred?
- Students in Grades 10 and 11, and non-graduating Grade 12 students, working toward their Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) will write the OSSLT.
- The Ministry of Education has waived the literacy graduation requirement for all students graduating during the 2021–2022 school year, so graduating (grade 12) students do NOT need to take (and/or pass) the OSSLT in order to graduate.
- Students who have an IEP may write the test with the accommodations (e.g. extra time, assistive technology, breaks, prompts) listed in their IEP.
- Students not working towards their Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) are exempt from writing the test.
- Framework Document (from the EQAO) for the OSSLT – click here
(online) Practice Literacy Test – from the EQAO – click here
TIPS (from St. Mary’s HS) for completing the OSSLT – click here
Info & Online Tools for completing OSSLT online – click here
How to find my OEN (Ontario Education Number) – needed to complete the OSSLT – click here
OSSLT – Communication to Parents – Nov 1, 2021 – click here
Schedule – May 10, 2022
Note: only students writing the OSSLT will attend school this day
***note: exact times following 9:05 am may change
- 9:05 – Morning Exercises & Announcements
- 9:30 – Instructions and login, begin Session A
- 10:30 – Session A is completed*
- 10:30 – Break
- 11:00 – Instructions and login, begin Session B
- 12:00 – Session B is completed*
- 12:00 – Questionnaire Survey
- 12:30 – Buses Depart
*All students will have access to extra time if needed (20 – 30 minutes)
**IEP students have access to double time if required
After School Help
- semester 1 – start date – tba
- schedule: Mondays, Wednesdays & Thursdays: 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm
- Google Classroom for OSSLT Prep – classcode: tba
- Room 235 (Student Success Room, computer lab, main floor, east end of building)
- Tips, hints and strategies for the OSSLT.
- Teachers – Mrs. K. Drummond, Mr. T. Paolo, Mrs. Luke, Mr. Mukhar
Preparing / Practicing for the OSSLT – St. Mary’s HS
EQAO – online practice (OSSLT) test
Students have the opportunity to become familiar with the online test and its platform through EQAO’s online practice test. The online practice test comprises two sessions, which include content from previous tests. The practice test is equivalent to the two sessions students will be completing during the live test. In addition, the practice test includes an introductorysession that allows students to become familiar with the new online platform’s tools and functions.
St. Mary’s HS – Printable PDF Files – to help you prepare for the OSSLT
YouTube Videos – presentations with reading and writing strategies for the OSSLT
Slideshows / PowerPoint Presentations – to help you prepare for the OSSLT